Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Poetry Jam Theme for May 23


I have shook off the rain that soaked us here (who knew the power of a poetry theme could be taken so literally by the Weather Man in the Sky?). We have et us some good grub and we await the arrival of our Poetry Bus rider friend Rachel, et al, here in not so sunny California. Mi casa is a pit stop on her USA tour. Maybe if I keep our theme simple, she will take time from gawking and dash off a poem.

I asked to host the Poetry Jam blog for the upcoming Monday, May 23, for a reason: my long-gone father's birthday falls on May 24. Dad was a child of the Depression, a self-made man born in Oklahoma and transplanted to a small town in rural California. He was a poet in his way, a honky-tonk poet. I'm posting a photo of him in his prime.

The theme for our Poetry Jam this coming Monday, then, will be your choice of two wide-open topics, fertile ground for the Muse:

1) Write a poem about Father, fatherland, daddy dearest, your experience of fatherhood, the father you never had, your father or your own fatherhood, or the father of your children, or the father of your father, or your Heavenly Father, or go father afield and do what you will with the notion of fathers.

2) Write a honky-tonk song. Wikipedia's discussion of honky-tonk music is here.

Visit the Poetry Jam site at http://poetryjaam.blogspot.com to link up later this week. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out Mr. Linky's foibles.

8 comments:

Magpie said...

I have not the talent to share something of my own, but I am looking forward to reading pieces from all you crazy riders.
I also have the honor of sharing your father's birthday! :)

Rubye Jack said...

What a good lookin' dad--he looks like James Dean. And such a cool way to celebrate his birthday. Do you have any of his poetry you can post?

Brian Miller said...

hehe. a honky tonk song...hmm...may have to see what the weekend brings for inspiration...

steveroni said...

Here I am, a symphony musician who DOES enjoy honkey-tonk...and I'll ask my Muse tomorrow for help on the song--do we need the music also?

"If you're gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band"...

Helen said...

I've been told I'm a honky-tonk kind of woman ... does that count?

Marion said...

I wish I had the talent for poetry! But I'll be looking forward to reading those who do..

Your dad looks so handsome and devil-may-care! I'd love to read his poetry...xo

Syd said...

He has that James Dean look about him. Glad that he was a honky tonk poet.

Margaret said...

I, too, just love this image of your dad. The kind of good looks that are timeless... just always cool! :)