Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Disaster!


My computer was DESTROYED Monday in a freak accident, along with the rest of my electronics, when my beloved husband set a hose-end sprinkler outside my office window and 20 minutes later discovered the hose had gone ROGUE and was VIGOROUSLY shooting into the window, watering my desk!!!! And a houseful of guests were about to arrive for a Labor Day barbecue and croquet game.


The resulting collision of water and electricity blew the circuit breaker and fried everything, including all the files relating to four stories I must turn in tomorrow to my magazine publisher. Everything is kaput...laptop, copier, scanner, printer, photo editing software...

But I'm blessed!!!! My hard drive survived, so the nice tech guy salvaged my files and they're somewhere inside this external hard drive if I can figure out how to extract them. I had accident insurance, so God knows when eventually I'll be reimbursed for my laptop. There's some money in savings to buy this here unconfigured cheap empty frustrating replacement computer and a new printer. I'm still married too (although I can't get my hubby to come out from under the bed where's he's been hiding since yesterday).

We had to scrap the croquet game yesterday, due to my driving need to get my computer to the tech store for a diagnostic, but we had a nice meal with our family anyway. I'm thankful to have a 12-Step program that keeps me from wigging out when crap happens. I didn't make anyone's life miserable yesterday or today, including my own. So blessings on your day, take a minute to back up your hard drive if you haven't done it in a while, and watch out for rogue sprinklers. I'm off to set up a new printer and wrestle me a grizzly or two...





15 comments:

steveroni said...

Chris, you remind me (again) how I am grateful for the 'miracles' we've experienced--chief one, staying sober No Matter What. ...And you can write about this with astuteness and humor.

Hopefully many will tomorrow buy external hard drives, and perform backups.

Bless you, girl, and that fellow under the bed!

Magpie said...

Way to ride life's storms (or sprinklers) gracefully and with style.

Brian Miller said...

omg...glad your HD was saved...i think i might have had a coniption...

e said...

Dear Chris,

All things considered, you came through this very sanely. I hope you let your husband out from under the bed soon...

Best of luck with retrieving your stories and other files. I'll be doing some shopping myself since the drive that allows one the pleasure of DVDs or music has died, apparently.

Rachel Fox said...

Whoops. Gonna take a few tasty cakes to make up for that...

x

Lou said...

You handled the crap in exemplary fashion!

Well, you know what I mean, right;)

Syd said...

Oh no! An electronics disaster involving computers might send me over the edge. I do back up all my files on an external drive. Thankfully, there are no rogue sprinklers around here. Hope that you extract and recover all your files.

Unknown said...

This is the great truth of recovery, we no longer freak out we are capable of taking action without getting too wiggy!

I hope all goes well with the data recovery files and so glad you can still post and had a nice dinner with family!!!
xo G

Dave King said...

I don't know what to say... words just can't express... maybe it's god telling us he wants us to give up on computers... I'm full of admiration for your laid-back reaction. Don't think I could have been that sanguine.

The Bug said...

Oh MAN! I'm going home & backing up tonight. Well maybe not tonight. Soon though. Really!

izzy said...

Oh My,Oh my! Blessings from way over here- If that happened to me I would be lost- So glad it happened to someone who could cope even tho I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!
You did GREAT!

Titus said...

Oh, I cried for you, then laughed! And good for you.

I'd have killed my one though.

Evelyn said...

stressful and funny!

Ed Pilolla said...

yikes. a good reminder to have a backup.

Jack Edwards Poetry said...

Wow what a terrible thing to happen. At least the hard-drive was ok.