Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Monday, September 12, 2011

One Week After the Disaster

I seem to have misplaced my head.

It has been a week since my computer was destroyed by a rogue water sprinkler. There’s some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that my printer resurrected itself from the dead. I had the new one out of the packaging and ready to go, when something made me try the old one again. It must have dried out following its dance with the water sprinkler, because it worked again. Yeehaw! Back went the new printer into the box, happily returned to the store.

The bad news is that I’ve lost my email program, Outlook Express, along with everything that was in it. After many frustrating hours, I can’t seem to get the new Outlook email program to work, that is, to find my server, log on successfully, and so on. The hours I’ve spent on this endeavor have driven me into a dark depression. I’m forced to use a yahoo thingamajig which is annoying. I curse it. I curse many things. Oh, well, tomorrow is another day.

The good news is that I managed to salvage my document and photo files. I’ve spent the past week working madly on magazine assignments and got them all done and submitted. This is a big deal, and worth celebrating, especially since the subject of one story had her husband go and die on her right before my copy deadline. This threw her whole story out of whack, not to mention what it did to her life. But with a little sympathy and rewriting, the story was written, approved, and submitted. So there’s cause for celebration. However, I’m stuck in the dark depression of the email fiasco, and that is all I can think about. I’ll have to work on that.

The bad news is that my office is still topsy-turvy, with everything moved and stacked and out of its usual place, letting the carpeting dry after its assault by the rogue sprinkler. Oh, well, tomorrow is another day.

The good news is that I have a new computer. My documents and photos on now on its hard drive. This is a blessing, one worth celebrating, if I weren’t so busy being annoyed that it isn’t configured for me. There’s a special circle in hell for training computers to mind, to find their servers, to refrain from pop-ups that one doesn’t want, to behave the way you want them to behave in general. I hope when I die I don’t go there.

My old computer is finally on its way to get an autopsy at its manufacturer. I’m praying for it, as if it were a living person who is deathly ill. I would like to have it resurrected, along with my email program and all its contents. It seems like my life has gone on a strange diversion this past week. And in the hubbub of the past two days, as I worked around the strangeness to get my last three stories finished, I forgot to do my morning meditation, pray, and work on my gratitude journal. That has no doubt contributed to my sense of depression as the day has ended.

Oh, well. Tomorrow is another day. For now, I’ll go make a few entries in my gratitude journal and remember that every day above ground is a good day. May God’s blessings be with all of you.

9 comments:

e said...

All things considered, things are moving along. I hope the autopsy on your former computer goes well.

Meditation and gratitude work when I'm out of sorts, so does a bath or a snuggle from the cat...

Congrats on getting the work sorted and finished.

Brian Miller said...

glad you end the day good...some ups, some downs...but we still breathing...

Zed said...

My mom always used top say 'it's darkest just before the dawn' and ' you will laugh about this in 10 years time'. It's all I can offer. x

Titus said...

You're doing great! Arghh, I think most of know that dwelling on the one thing that isn't right, and how it eats away at the brain. But you've worked on and through, and magnanimity shall be yours!

As Scarlett says, "As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me."

Luck and love.

The Bug said...

I once worked somewhere that for myriad reasons required my hard drive to be reformatted every few months, and then all my software to be reinstalled, at which time I spent an entire day reconfiguring all my preferences. I actually got it down to half a day in the end. No fun at all. So sorry you have to go through this! But SO GLAD your files were still there!

Monkey Man said...

Nice to be able to catch up with you.

Magpie said...

Oh, well. Tomorrow is another day. :)

izzy said...

Seems the positives out weigh the negatives! progress is good even when it feels like an uphill battle-
keep on you're doing great.

Syd said...

I love my computers. Backing them up on an external drive is something I do regularly. I don't use PC's but Macs. I am sure that the gurus can help you figure out the mail program. Every day above ground is indeed good.