Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Have Rocks in My Head

I’m weary of writing. I did my piece on earthquakes, then had to cut a third of it out to meet my word limitation. There’s a great deal of interesting stuff about earthquakes out there, and I enjoyed learning all I could, but I have too much plate tectonics in my head to think.

So here’s a little haiku for your pleasure:

Earth rattle and roll
tremors and ruptures galore
it is not my fault
~~~~~


(Hours later...) Now that I’ve had some sleep, I want to offer a word of warning.
Like Chile in South America, the West Coast of the North American continent sits on the “Ring of Fire,” shaped like an upside-down horseshoe around the Pacific Ocean. Eighty percent of the world’s monster earthquakes happen here.
The last time the West was shaken by a catastrophic earthquake of magnitude 8 or 9 was more than 300 years ago, when an estimated 9.0 struck somewhere between northern California and British Columbia. Elsewhere on the Ring of Fire, giants happen with some regularity: 15 times in the past 100 years.
They appear to happen in clusters, with a 50-year cycle. In the last cycle, from 1950 and 1965, seven great quakes between 8.5 and 9.5 hit the Rim of Fire.
The recent cycle of Big Ones began in 2004, with three in Indonesia and one in Chile. Seismologists say the entire West Coast region may be overdue.

For my friends who live in the area, do a couple of simple things. Keep shoes, flashlight, and some kind of clothing beside your bed. Keep a stash of ready cash (ATMs won’t work). Put canned food, medical supplies, flashlights, battery-powered radio, water, and other necessities in a waterproof bin where you can get to it quickly. Keep a kit and sturdy shoes in your car.
At home and work, check out the safe places, under sturdy furniture, a clear hallway or against an interior wall, and the danger zones, windows, tall furniture, kitchen cabinets and large hanging objects. If an earthquake hits: DROP to the floor in the safest place, COVER your head, and HOLD ON.
Check out more earthquake preparedness info at here or here.

My hubby and I have done these things since going through a major quake in 1994. I don’t live in fear, but I live in earthquake country and precautions are wise.

15 comments:

inappropriatesue said...

Nice haiku. I know what you mean about info rattling in your head. Sometimes it blocks the piece from being written. I wrote this last night and I'd love for you to check it out :)

http://inappropriatesue.blogspot.com/2010/03/paradise-lost.html

Anonymous said...

You may have rocks in your head but you have pretty pictures on your blog. That looks like the lotus tattooed on my back.

Rest up, Enchanted One. We need you.

Anonymous :) said...

I keep hearing about the Big One hitting California. After the SF earthquake, I literally slept with my shoes at the end of my bed for a while. The earth shaking is very unsettling.

Magpie said...

Yes, rest up and enjoy your garden. I love the haiku.

Mary LA said...

Writing fatigue.

Love that image of the rosette echeveria.

Unknown said...

I love the haiku! In NC, we don't live in an earthquake zone to my knowledge but we do get an occasional hurricane and horrific thunderstorms. We are prepared for those. My own little world shakes sometimes though just to see if I am paying attention.

Namaste

Brian Miller said...

love the little haiku...fun with some seriousness...yeah i was just thinking the other day about a quake in the states especially with all the global activity right now...scary prospect if it hits a population density.

Anonymous said...

I am mentally ready for all disasters, have been since 9/11/01

steveroni said...

Neat-o haiku! Shake Rattle and Roll!

And I have probably seen some of these beautiful tropical plants called echeveria, but never knew their name...difficult to have a good conversation when you don't even know the other's name. (I talk to flora and fauna.)

I SHUDDER (pun intended) to think of earthquake ANYWHERE. Thank you for alerting Peeps like me who see it elsewhere and forget we are ALL on this same BALL.

PEACE!

Monkey Man said...

Love the haiku and how it tells us we have no control. Hey! If we West Coasties get a big one - so be it. Nothing we can do to stop it and technologically, we have built to reduce damage, so let it rock.

Rosaria Williams said...

You shout and you shout, and still people don't hear. We forget. We get comfortable. YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORight!

Syd said...

My area of the country also had a major earth quake over a hundred years ago. It can happen here as well. One just has to hope it does not. I understand about having a fried brain. Mine is a bit tired lately.

CiCi said...

That's a cute haiku. Nice play on words and yet tells the story of what is happening around the world lately.

Mi Love is Your Love said...

Mom. You're so funny. This haiku made me laugh out loud. FAULT!!! Haha. You're play on words is brilliant. You are a brilliant being and I am honored to be your child.

Her Big Sad said...

You are so so right about the need for preparations. It's so easy to put off.... thanks for the reminder and I loved the haiku!