Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Dragon Is Full


We call it The Dragon because of its shape. The lake near my town is the Nacimiento, a Spanish name meaning birth or the headwaters. In these shots, we're standing at the Dragon's neck.


Built when I was two years old, the Dragon has this year filled totally up. It's famous for its 165 miles of unspoiled shoreline, its reputation for the greatest water skiing in California, and its white bass fishing. Bald eagles nest here. Joe and I went out there Tuesday, to take pictures of its historic level, more full than at any time since it was built in 1956.

The lake is so full it's pouring over the spillway of the dam, and the water force is a mighty thing.



This is Spanish moss.



Oak branches with lichen.


This is a sample of our stickery dandelion.


Along the hillsides, sage is blooming.



The drive out to the lake is buccolic.



World class horse trainers live out here.



It's a glorious place to live, and in early spring the grass and budding oak trees turn it into paradise.


Today's thought:



You can have anything you want if you will give up the belief that you can't have it.



10 comments:

Andrew said...

Thank you Chris. Bucolic is an apt description.

Lyn said...

Ahhh ... you captured tranquility. I feel as though I just went for a walk in the country. Love the horse shot too. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Miller said...

some beautiful horses...and i bet the walk around the dragon is pretty cool as well...

Dominic Rivron said...

You've got me fancying a swim.

Re thought. Contrariwise, Andy Warhol once said he considered it axiomatic that you don't get what you want until you stop wanting it.

:)

Unknown said...

I loved the quote at the end, I have been wrestling with that one for quite some time.

The pictures are stunning and gorgeous, it looks like spring where you are...we are still trying to shake of winter, but it persists...:-)

love to you

Monkey Man said...

Beautiful tour. Thanks.

Marla said...

I can't count the times we camped out there. Sometimes with all the kids. Sometimes just the two of us. There were day trips to the mission, weekends on the dragon's shore and sometimes even an entire week. What wonderful memories.

I want to go home.

steveroni said...

Yes. We can have anything, be willing to pay the price. Let's see, I have sobriety, a motor scooter, violin, my DROID, many friend...what am I leaving out? Oh Yes! FAMILY!

Fortunate ... us!

Syd said...

Beautiful country. I know that I can't have all things I want, so I will settle for those that I need.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Lovely, inspiring, peaceful...I love being a passenger on a drive like this.