Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lousy Haiku


Nature’s enemies
Await a loving season
Nature’s call to arms

(I am not satisfied with this haiku. I like the reference to spring and the play on "arms" because it looks like Riley is holding Mystery in his arms. But there's something better out there. I can't find it right now. )
Today will hold more of life's balancing principle. Because I'm sober and able to do difficult things, I'll be taking my demented mom on a drive through the blooming orchards and green hills of my countryside. By the grace of God, I'll be able to do it lovingly, without falling apart.
Later, the five grandchildren will descend on our house, fill it with their exuberance, and chomp their way through their grandfather's homemade tacos.
Next, I'll pay a visit and eat dinner with my friend who has Parkinson's, and we'll have good conversation, filled with laughter.
Finally, I'll come home and thank the good Lord for my day and my life. A situation I worried about all month resolved itself yesterday without effort on my part, thanks to a woman with 25 years of sobriety. I finally prayed for calmness and acceptance, and within half an hour, the problem was completely put to rest. That one goes into my memory bank, building my reservoir of hope. I love the journey of recovery.
Difficulties are always balanced by reasons to rejoice.
*******

19 comments:

Brian Miller said...

if cats and dogs can love each other why cant we humans?

Anonymous said...

Not like those cartoon animals at all! Peaceful times between cats and dogs, and people too, we hope.

Secretia

Mrsupole said...

Hi Chris,

Thank you for giving me that website for Haiku's and for the word of encouragement about liking mine. I am discovering a whole world out there and have been exploring for hours about the world of Haiku and all the other types of poetry connected to it. I have never even heard of any of them, well except for tanka, which I just recently learned about.

That is a cute picture of the cat and dog. My cats have been taking care of the little chihuahua puppy that oldest granddaughter brought home. They let the puppy bite their ears, pull on their hair and they just try to walk away. Only if she hurts them do they swat her, but they do not seem to do it very hard. It is amazing to watch their patience with this hyperactive puppy.

And there is no lousy haiku is one thing I am learning, as long as the rules are followed, but then I am also learning that if you change the rules, make them consistent, then you just give it a new name, and viola you have a new form of Haiku.

Yeah and sneaking in the Magpie poem, what can I say, it was great. Very thought provoking about what is important.

Thank you again.

God bless.

Alan Burnett said...

Lovely Haiku more like.

Just Be Real said...

Oh my, awwww....

the walking man said...

Nature’s enemies
Await a loving season
Nature’s call to arms

Enemies nature
ever stalk a loving season
Nature calls to arms

Hope you don't mind me playing with it a bit Chris, bad habit sometimes.

Lou said...

They appear to be strange, but happy, bedfellows.

Magpie said...

I like it!!

Syd said...

Nice. I too love this journey.

Anonymous said...

A visual reminder that we can all do more to simplify, to make friends with things and people we don't naturally understand- for the better good of all.

CiCi said...

You say "I love the journey of recovery.
Difficulties are always balanced by reasons to rejoice."

This could be on a giant billboard across the world.

Rosaria Williams said...

Ah, life's answers in the eyes of our pets. One day at a time.

Karen said...

Reasons to Rejoice! That could almost be the title of your blog, Chris.

Anonymous said...

"Difficulties are always balanced by reasons to rejoice."

That's a keeper.

Julie said...

Hi, Chris. You always make me rejoice. I love your spirit and determination. I see poetry all over your blog posts, especially in phrases like "building my reservoir of hope." And it's so true! Each kindness, whether from friend or stranger, helps deepen that reservoir. I love how you are able to see the positive in life. Even when you are sad or sharing sad news (as in the Haiti posts), it is still a call to action and compassion. That is a very positive thing.

The picture is so cute! Actually, I like the play on "Nature's call to arms." I hope you and your family had a great day.

e said...

Lovely post, including the haiku. I hope you enjoyed your time with your friend.

LadyFi said...

Thank goodness life is balanced and the difficult times come along with moments of joy!

That is a great photo - just goes to show that enemies can be friends.

Shadow said...

you are in a good place. in spirit, in mind, in places...

Unknown said...

I like the haiku. I also like it when the Universe handles stuff that is too big for me. I just have to work on being patient and keeping my hands off. :-D

Namaste