Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Friday, February 5, 2010

Rain on Me Flash 55


The rhythm of rain on the roof
The whish of tires on wet streets
The scent of wet earth in the hands
The smell of wet dogs, wet coats
The sight of a brown river running
The cascades of water in every ravine
The dripping of raindrops on hair
All singing the song: goodbye drought.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you would like to tell a tale in exactly 55 words, post it and go tell the G-Man.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What are some of the simple things that you appreciate in life? I’m hoping you’ll tell me and others what those things are. For everyone who tells me and links to my blog, my family will donate $2 to a little medical hospital in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

My “Simple Things Challenge” begins tomorrow and ends on Sunday night at midnight, Pacific Time.

What simple things do you cherish? Post those things on your blog, along with a link to my blog and a quick blurb about what you’re doing.

What you’re doing is this: For each one of you who posts a list, a poem, a paragraph about the simple things in life that you savor, my family will donate $2 to a medical clinic in Haiti, run by Heartline Ministries. Don’t forget those two important things: Include a link to my blog in your post, and then come tell me.

If you don’t feel like posting on your blog, or you don’t have a blog of your own, just a comment on my blog will count.
My goal is to have at least 50 to 75 people commenting and linking over the weekend.

I’ve borrowed this idea, with permission, from Christina at Soul Aperture. She donated $1 for every comment to Doctors Without Borders, and she wound up sending $180.

I like the idea of celebrating our gratitude for the simple things we’re blessed with. And I love the idea of using the occasion to send financial aid to Haiti, to keep the blessings flowing.

I love what Heartline is doing. For years they’ve been in Haiti trying to improve the lives of women and children. In the aftermath of the earthquake, they’ve transformed their property into a makeshift emergency room, operating room, recovery hospital, and safe haven for suffering people who are in desperate need of medical help, even more than three weeks after the earthquake.

Their volunteer doctors and RNs have performed amputations on plastic folding tables. They go into the slums and tent cities to pick up the wounded and take them for treatment. They serve on the front lines on a wing and a prayer.
Read John McHoul’s blog about their work here.

And pop in to visit me this weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

32 comments:

Shadow said...

rain rain wonderful rain. i could feel it, see it, hear it...

Hootin Anni said...

You got THAT right!!! Around here, it's so wet [how wet is it?] ----it's so wet, I'm growing fins between my toes.


Mine's HERE. Scroll down below my Friday's Show n Tell to find my 55.

Have a great weekend.

the walking man said...

Just Chris...It makes me happy that you don't resent the weather even though it be a bit difficult right now for most places in the country. It is proof that the ecosystem knows still what it needs in the short term and has enough life left in it yet to provide it.

Seriously though I could live without the wet dog smell.

Anonymous :) said...

I almost wish it was raining.

Anonymous said...

I ran in the rain to get home, but as I approached my house I realized I wasn't finished yet, the rain wasn't done cleansing my soul, so I turned and ran back into the woods.

Secretia

Brian Miller said...

love the sound and scent of rain...hopefully you will get some traffic out of the promo on my 55 as well.

Anonymous said...

As I listen to the rain coming down outside my door today, it was nice to come across your 55. I love the sound and soothing embrace of the rain.

I'm up:

Friday Flash 55 ~ Checkmate

PS ~ I will be back to read more about your "Simple Things Challenge"...what a wonderful gesture.

clean and crazy said...

awesome 55!! sorry i forgot to post the simple things i will write it down now and post tonight!!

Mariana Soffer said...

Dear friend, I am happy to be able to participate here again, to enjoy your beautifull place. And what best to start with one of the greatest movies ever, singing in the rain, and read your beautiful poem about the famous and magical scene

Dianne said...

Dear One,
I have a simple thing I'll try to simplify, already wrote about it once, but not in it's simplicity.
Thank you for your compliment on my rain poem.

Rain smells, I like that.

HAKAWE as G-Man says
Dear one,
Di

Alice Audrey said...

"When it rains it pours" is what they say in the desert. Never seems to be a middle ground.

Unknown said...

wet dogs? Yep, we have that going on today :-D

Have a great weekend!!

namaste

CiCi said...

Great song to sing in a land of drought. I am starting to like the Flash 55 entries. This is great.
I am also appreciative of your effort to encourage participants in the posts on simple things to cherish. And all for a good cause too.

Syd said...

It is rainy here today. Much more will fall overnight.

I have a reminder about the simple things post. I hope that you get a lot of takers.

LadyFi said...

I'm joining in your Simple things challenge and will be linking up to you Saturday my time (I live in Europe)!

Hope we can make you give away a lot of money! ;-)

Monkey Man said...

What a great picture you write. Loved this and the connections to the senses.

RNSANE said...

With all the rain we've had lately, Chris, I can see the inspiration for this work!! Very good.

Just Be Real said...

I got a post up for you tonight.

g-man said...

Yes Chris...
Wet is definately better than dry most times!!
Loved your 55 My Dear.
So positive and upbeat...
Thank You so much for visiting and playing today....You Rock Baby!
Have a Wonderful Week-End...G

One Prayer Girl said...

What a totally wonderful 55. You peaked my senses.

Love,
PG

hope said...

I love what you're doing! What a cool family you have!

My blog thinks I've deserted it this week as my cold started letting up but the meds to prevent the spread of bronchitis made me miserable.

But we're so much better off than the folks in Haiti! So my simple thing is I love the sound of children laughing. Not a purer sound on the planet!

Hope you make your goal!

inappropriatesue said...

A joyful rain dance! Nice 55.
I'm up right HERE

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

a fresh bar of soap in the shower...

Karen said...

Love your rain dance! We're braced for up 10 inches of wet, heavy snow overnight tonight! I've posted my Simple Pleasure poem, so don't miss me!

Mrsupole said...

So far today the rain has been just a slow steady rain. Hopefully this will continue a few more days and if we get a few more storms like this then we really will put a good dent into our drought.

Great poem about rain, just wish we had more days to experience those things each year.

Came here from Brian's and will be back tomorrow and hopefully so will many others. I hope you make your $200 goal.

God bless.

Felicitas said...

I love your 55 and you simple things idea! I'll be back later this weekend with a contribution.

Akannie said...

Once again, Chrissy...you did it.

Beautiful, simple and extraordinary...all in one post.

Love ya, girl.

I'll be posting your challenge on mine soon. We got about 4 inches of snow after about 6 inches of rain. sigh...we are always blessed with SUCH abundance..lol

ellen said...

It is a simple thing to be so in love with Jesus, the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords, that everything in this life belongs to Him.

Our daughter, Jonna, is a midwife serving with Heartline Ministries. She served through the earthquake, is now taking a break, and will return to Port Au Prince.

The Haitians are joyful people, daily singing praises to Jesus.

Simple things. Praise.

Enchanted Oak said...

Dear Ellen, how proud you must be of your daughter Jonna! I've seen pictures of her and heard of her great skill in midwifery. There is no way for me to contact you directly to tell you what a brave and wonderful mom you must be to have raised up such a child, but may this prayer go out into the hand of God, and may He hold all of those at Heartline close to His own mighty heart.
Love and blessings to you,
Chris

Nessa said...

I love the rain and your poem was wonderful.

A Boy and His Toy

Ronda Laveen said...

Lovely 55 and lovely project. I will post before the end of the morrow.

C.M. Jackson said...

great post--rain can be a wonderful thing! c