Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Abundance!

We harvested our little cherry trees yesterday. In February, I showed you this photo:


Here's what the buds look like now:




These Queen Anne cherries are delicious. We harvested a bucketful that filled up half the sink. The Van cherries that live cheek by jowl with the Queen Anne were even more abundant, filling the sink three-quarters full. The vibrant red Vans are more tart than Queen Annes and are smaller than the Bings you find in grocery stores.

We are wondering what to do with this abundance. Besides eat them, naturally (I'm surprised that thus far we've had no untoward side effects from eating all those cherries as we picked them). So far we've shared with neighbors and family and still have more than we can eat. Can we freeze fresh cherries, does anyone know?

Are you jealous of our abundance? I would be if it were you bragging about all your cherries. I love cherries. I'm also very proud of our harvest, because I've lovingly pruned these trees, which are full-sized genetically, into bonsai-size to fit into my minuscule backyard garden plot (maybe 10 feet by 20). The trees have to share space with perennial herbs, dahlias, hollyhocks, chrysanthemums, butterfly bush, and lamb's ears, as well as lilies, narcissus, and sunflowers in their seasons.

Not to mention I'm grateful as hell to God for sending the good rains last winter.

Tomorrow I'll tell you about going on the warpath. My time these days has been consumed, unlike the cherries, with gut-twisting developments. Please forgive me if I haven't your blog lately. I'm working full time on my mother's situation and then researching at night past the midnight hour... I've become a werewolf, with a bloodthirsty attitude. Tune in tomorrow.

12 comments:

Monkey Man said...

Yummmm. Love cherries. They wouldn't last long enough to freeze at my house. Hope all is well with you.

The Bug said...

I have no cherry advice - but I'll bet you could freeze cherry pies! And ship them to Ohio. Just kidding.

I'm intrigued to hear your bloodthirsty story!

Magpie said...

What a harvest! Don't know about freezing them. I know you can buy frozen cherries so maybe you can freeze them yourself. You have packed so much into your 10 x 20 garden plot! You should be proud of such abundance.
Waiting with bated breath to hear of your werewolf adventures.

CiCi said...

We freeze cherries, grapes, almost everything.

Brian Miller said...

if you are looking for something to do with them i will send you my address...smiles. we used to have a cherry tree in the neighbors yard and would eat them until they stained us....ahh...the days...

Rosaria Williams said...

You can freeze them.Pack them in gallon bags or quart bags and add a 1/2 cup, or 1/4 of sugar.

Paul C said...

I commend you on your pruning expertise to get a bountiful crop. That practice takes some skill and foresight. Looks like a rewarding hobby.

Unknown said...

Oh those wonderful cherries. We had a Queen Anne tree when we lived in Newcastle, but it outlived itself. They are wonderful....

Syd said...

How about some cherry jam? I hope that you are well also, warpath or not.

Karen said...

I can remember sitting in a tree as a child, picking and eating sun-warmed cherries. Nothing better!

Hope all will be well.

Birdie said...

When we moved into our house in the beginning of this year we were nicely surprised to see we had 2 cherry trees. And even more surprised this spring to see that one is going to have cherries. They are still green and many of them are falling on the ground already so I'm not sure how many will be left to eat though ... :-) May all be well on your side! hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Kind of late with this, but, I pit mine,roll them in sugar and then spread out on cookie sheets and put in the deep freeze. When they are frozen I pack them into freezer bags and seal.
We have an abundant cherry harvest in Ohio this year too.