Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Crazy Potato


Sometimes life is way too serious. I found a solution for that.

This is my crazy little potato. It volunteered to grow in the compost heap. I found it the other day when I yanked out the potato greenery, which was dying because my dear one threw in a load of grass clippings and they were really cooking.

What do you think it looks like? I think it looks like a seal. And I've made it my new pet. It's going to travel around in the next few days, and I'll show you where it goes.

In the literature of Alcoholics Anonymous is something called "Rule #62": Don't take yourself too seriously. I've just finished four serious tasks: listening to a sponsee do her Fifth Step, getting my novel ready for critique at a writers conference, selecting poems to enter in the state poetry contest, and writing to the American Civil Liberties Union to ask if they'll take on a civil rights case for my mother on behalf of people everywhere whose Advance Directives are ignored by hospitals. (Sigh.) Now it's time to invoke Rule #62.

Me and my crazy little potato shall sally forth into the day and see what it brings.

19 comments:

Totalfeckineejit said...

That's not a potato,that's a Henry Moore Sculpture!

Titus said...

Bon Voyage, little potato animal! Have a great time. (P.S. Best not to take it anywhere they've got deep fat fryers).

RNSANE said...

So your potato is not going to end up french fries...what is this about a state poetry contest? I wish I had known, not that my entries would have been good enough. Wish it would bring you to San Francisco. I'd like to see you again. I need a day of enjoyment.

Karen said...

My goodness, woman! When do you find the time for all of this seriousness? You must think the rest of us (well, me) a real slacker! I whine and whine about writing, while you apparently do it with no problem! I'm sure you're rolling your eyes...I know writing comes with a price. Seriously, though, congratulations on your accomplishments, and enjoy your respite!

Brian Miller said...

haha. thanks for keeping us real...looks like a head of someone on the couch...

Syd said...

Nice. One never knows what may be in a compost heap. It might just be a crazy little potato. Enjoy the day!

Anonymous said...

Do you know that if you hadn't told me that was a potato you could have fooled me into believing it was a part of your Lladro collection? - G

Unknown said...

how kind of you to rescue Potato from the rubble! This brought a smile!!

Dianne said...

latin american folk art
animus
definitely NOT a potato

are we what we look like? NOT
love,
Dianne

Akannie said...

Good morning, Chris...
Lovely little potato--I have a ginormous squash coming out of my compost bin and nothing seems to be able to kill it. lol

You get in there and kick some ass, girlfriend. I cannot believe this debacle, and it infuriates me to know that the AD is useless. These people have gone for too long thinking they can do anything they want to. Get 'em !!!


I've been missing you...not getting here much lately. Garden in full force. Busy, busy. And Friday, my baby boy turns 39. (YIKES!!) lol

xoxoxoxox

Hope said...

Wow, that's a lot of serious stuff. I only heard rule #62 the other day at our business meeting. It made me laugh out loud. I need it stamped on my forehead.

I like your potato.

Magpie said...

What a crazy little potato. I agree, it definitly looks like a seal to me. I hope he travels well and brings you great joy and many adventures. You have a wonderful way of looking at the world and changing heavy days into light ones. Thank you.

The Bug said...

I love it! And it does look like a seal. Does it have a name yet?

Enchanted Oak said...

A NAME!

Good golly, Miss Molly, it needs a name!
Okay, tomorrow we'll play a name game. I love you, bloggers.

Sam Liu said...

It's always so refreshing to do something fun and light-hearted amidst the seriousness of daily life. I love Rule #62, I think I will adopt it as one of my rules of living. And I also love your crazy potato! It's brilliant...I hope you enjoy your day together :D

CiCi said...

I would paint eyes and nose and mouth and ears! Really unusual potato. Cute though.

Carrie Van Horn said...

This is an awesome post. Just love it!!!! We all need something like this to carry around with us.
:-)

Monkey Man said...

Does it have an itellect too? If you broze it, you will have one fine little sculpture.

Dianne said...

I'm getting my vote for a name in early, actually I already said it.
"Animus"

di