Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Poetic Justice

With a flash as if by divine inspiration, Poetikat has set forth the command for this week’s TFE’s Poetry Bus. We are to comment on these photos below.




A 62 foot tall statue of Jesus at an Ohio church burned to the ground after being struck by lightning on June 15. All that remained of the statue, which had been made of plastic foam and fiberglass, was its steel frame.

*

All idols fail
to do justice
to the Real Thing,
Which (or maybe Who)
never fails
to do justice.

The great Elijah
called down fire
that showed the idol
Who was Who.
And the people
cried out, as they do
when fearful, saying
The LORD
He is the God!
That fire ate everything
right down to the last
drop of water.

The Real Deal
answers by fire.
Raise your arms
in prayer.

Justice burns.


~~~~~

Check out what other bus travelers have done with this.

~~~~~

18 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a big poem. I can feel the Colossus of the Real Thing
I really like the fact that you capture the fickleness of some people's faith.
"Justice burns"
What a line to end on!

Argent said...

Oooh, this sent a shiver down my spine. I love the punchy style of this, with its down-to-earth language.

Niamh B said...

This is really excellent, restrained, every word works very hard. Justice burns. Brilliant

Totalfeckineejit said...

'Justice burns' Ooh scary , well writen poem,punchy knockout punchline.
Perhaps we get a little too comfortable by times.I feel I am like a teabag for god,I only turn to him when I am in hot water!

Brian Miller said...

justice burns. nice. i like that story of elijah as well...some great sy,bolism in it...

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting take on the picture - not an easy subject I thought.

Syd said...

And what is left looks strangely like a large insect reaching skyward.

The Bug said...

Wow - this was just amazing. No offense to everyone else, but I think this is the best response I've seen on this prompt!

Kat Mortensen said...

Got your link up now.

This one really packs a punch - I love that last line especially, but there's so much substance to this.
Unequivocally, this is my favourite bit: "That fire ate everything right down to the last
drop of water."

Kat

Anonymous said...

Wow, chilling. If it wasn't for the picture and your words it would sound too surreal to be true. - G

CiCi said...

Idols are only reminders and not the real thing. You get pretty deep when the subject warrants it. Maybe the world would be healthier with more true justice.

Rachel Fox said...

Yes, a mighty ending.
x

Magpie said...

You did an amazing job with this prompt...truly powerful words that obviously ring true to you. I can feel your conviction. Awesome!

Karen said...

Wow, wow, wow! That's all. Excellent!

Woman in a Window said...

Very.serious.stuff.
Not to be messed with.

Here's me sneaking away
very
quietly.

xo
erin

Peter Goulding said...

Very powerful. (Is it only me, or does the dtatue look more like Elijah than Jesus?) I think this one deserves expanding a bit, work on it further without the time restraints and you'll have something really special.

Titus said...

I just want to say exactly what Niamh and Karen said!
Breathtaking work.

Tess Kincaid said...

Guess The Real Deal didn't like this goofy Jesus!