Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mom's in Hospital

*****
We just learned yesterday morning (Tues) that Mom has been hospitalized with pneumonia since Thursday night. Four days without a friendly face! Heads are going to roll at the hospital. I'm sharpening my axe ...
Mom has advanced Alzheimer's. The most common cause of death for someone who suffers from Alzheimer's is pneumonia. Ergo, Mom might die of pneumonia. We're asking God to give her peace and comfort. If you pray, please add Mom's peace and comfort to your list.
We're chosing to do nothing about the pneumonia except administer antibiotics. Today, Mom clearly said, "Oh, God, please take me home." Later she laughed at some random image or idea that crossed her mind. The doc is calling in Hospice. I'll meet them tomorrow. Thanks for your prayers.

I Tried Laying Hands on My Mother

A hank of hair rests on the bony forehead
which swells above the chin
which droops toward the neckline
bisected by the wide slash of mouth
An immobile line.

I brush back the thatch of white
But it falls through my fingers
I touch the knobby cheekbones that rise
like mountains above the sunken cheeks
Every movement of my hand is forced
against a tide

Suddenly I remember my daughter
at the age of five, lying on her bed
with the nightlight on. Her eyelashes
make little wings on her cheeks
I draw on her soft little face with a finger
tip, and I sing a monotonous song:
I’m skiing down your nose and skiing
round your eyeballs…I’m skiing round
your cheeks and down around your mouth

She lies on her bed still as a statue
while my fingertip skis over her face
and I love it, and she loves it, she asks
for this. And this I can’t give
to my mother, lying still as a statue
on her bed. My hand will not allow it.

24 comments:

Mary LA said...

You are in my thoughts, Chris.

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

You and your mom will be in my thoughts, Chris, and your poem will echo quietly in me for a long time.

Megan, Life Revamped said...

my heart goes out to your mom and your family!

my prayers,
fickle

Birdie said...

Oh Chris, I'm so sorry. Your mom is my prayers. So are you. hugs.

Karen said...

My heart is breaking for you, Chris. My prayers are with both of you.

Dave King said...

Lovely poem. Every blessing to your Mom and yourselves.

Brian Miller said...

i hope your mom finds peace...you have my thoughts and prayers...

Andrew said...

Prayers for you and yours. I know this is a hard thing for many different reasons.

Woman in a Window said...

Ohhh. To all of it. Ohhh. The beauty and strength of you, of her, of this. I do my own kind of prayer for you all.

xo
erin

Syd said...

Chris, I wish the best and much peace for your mother. Thinking of you both.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. Praying for comfort and peace for your Mama.

Marion said...

Oh, Chris...four days! Please sharpen an axe for me as well. As you say, the most common cause is pneumonia for Alzheimer's patients. I'm glad Hospice was finally called in. I'm praying for comfort and peace for all of you during this really stress filled time. Hugs, hugs, hugs to you all.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you and your family. Hearing my Dad say "I want to go," was hard, but it was what he wanted. It wasn't up to us anymore. He was under severe resp. distress at the time too.
I'm so sorry that the hospital was so careless. That's just unacceptable. Take care. - G

Magpie said...

Chris my heart goes out to you. I'm so glad that God was with your mother for those four days when you couldn't be.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Remember, God is holding you in the hollow of His hand. Take comfort.

CiCi said...

I know you have so much to deal with right now. You are a loving daughter. I know you will be with your mother.

Monkey Man said...

Oh, Chris, I so feel for you. I do hope your mother finds the peace and comfort she needs.

Kat Mortensen said...

You are both in my prayers, Chris.

Kat

Susan said...

Saying a prayer. May the God of all comfort hold you both close.

Titus said...

My prayers for you and your mother.

Beautiful, heartbreaking words.

e said...

Hugs and prayers to you and your family, Chris. I wish your mother ease at this time...

Unknown said...

Chris, I hope that you end up getting a hold of someone at the hospital....four days is criminal.
That being said your mom and you are in my thoughts and prayers...may she and you find the peace that is so deserved and that the grace and sunlight of the spirit is there for you.
Much much love.

RNSANE said...

My dear Chris, I am sorry to hear this. I can't believe you were not notified sooner than this!

My brother called tonight when he was visiting my mother. She has gained 25 pounds in the three months she has been in extended care - they have stopped her Ensure now. She continues the same...no improvement mentally. She doesn't know my brother and me and she only babbles when we try to talk to her. It is all so sad.

Prayers always, for you and your mom. Wish you both peace.


My poetry book - Life's Journey by Carmen Henesy - is out on Amazon!
( Poems about the things that have been important to me in my journey through life, some humorous, some sad, some that may have meaning to you as well )
http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Journey-1-Carmen-Henesy/dp/1451547366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274652997&sr=1-1

Enchanted Oak said...

Thank you, everyone. She's going back to her own room at the assisted-living home under hospice care.
There was some good news and bad news from hospice. More later...
You people are wonderful.

One Prayer Girl said...

I believe your attempt to lay hands on your mother was successful. Your hand may not have allowed it, but God did.
(IMHO)

PG