Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Friday, July 2, 2010

Fried Po TAH toh


Don't you look incredibly yummy...
My crazy little potato, who grew oddly against the odds in the compost heap, pines for a name. Too embarrassed to leave home without a moniker, he/she/it got acquainted with the household today. Some meetings went better than others.


The little spud paused to offer an opinion on the newest member of the clan: my second manuscript of poetry. The potato-ette thinks it needs more work. I almost made hash of the stupid twit.

The poor thing wonders if it could grow up to become this:


Let's name the small fry today. Here are the choices. Please vote for one.

Animus, sings Spirited Dianne

Spud! growls Titus the Worthy Canine

Spudnik, pronounces Lorenzo the Worthy

Spudkins, hollers Glenn not of Luckenbach

Tater or Scallop, drawls Brian the Blog Wonder

Tuber or not tuber, ponders Technobabe Hamlet (Tutu for short)

Leslie, chirps Magpie, neutral for he/she/it

Hope, whispers Marion, for it grew against the odds

Abbyration, dares Monkey Man

Masher, cries Jacob, who says it's a dog

Chip, opines Syd from his sailboat

Yukon Cornelius, the Venturing Mountain Potato, says Great Scott

Albert, roars Totalfeckineejit

Dinner, chimes in Carrie Burtt

And Rule #62 is still in force: Thou shalt not take thyself too seriously.

19 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

my vote goes with chip.

Titus said...

Though it's voting against myself, I have to go for Spudnik. Inspired, and gets to the essence of a potato adventurer in time and space.

Karen said...

I vote "Tater" with the nickname "Starchy."

Brian Miller said...

yukon cornelius...love it! that potato has some of the most amazing adventures too...smiles.

CiCi said...

How funny. You did get lots of suggested names though.

I vote for Syd's suggestion of Chip.

Anonymous said...

Spudkins, it's endearing.

Scott M. Frey said...

lol, I love ya Chris! The potato saga continues... lol

Syd said...

Gotta love these names. Lots of originality--Yukon Cornelius made me laugh.

Carrie Van Horn said...

I am with Syd...Yukon Cornelius is very funny...but dinner he will be.
:-)

Anonymous said...

I like "Chip", but how do we know it isn't a girl? Have you looked yet?
Maybe something Irish would be appropriate (although I can never remember, are potatoes native to Ireland or to south America? It's one of those, but I always mix it up. Off to google it now.) Happy 4th of July! - - G

Dianne said...

ok voted against my suggestion, but keeping it for later poetry....
my fondness for science fiction and space requires I vote for spudnick. Heck, our second dog was named Laika after the very first animal sent into space, a dog. It means "bark" in Russian I think.
you are too fun!
di

Magpie said...

Everyone did such a good job! I have to say, I love Yukon Cornelius..just rolls off the tongue.

Monkey Man said...

I'd vote for my own suggestion, but I am also partial to real names for "pets" so Yukon Cornelius it is.

izzy said...

Yukon,C. if your following fellowship protocol-

Sam Liu said...

They are all fittingly wonderful names, but my personal favourite is Tater :D I can't wait to see what the final choice is :)

Marion said...

Yukon Cornelius is my choice...it sounds so intellectual and dignified, which I believe this little spud will grow up to be!

The Bug said...

I'm going to go against the grain & vote for Albert (or Alberta if it turns out to be a girl). I just like how plain the name is for such an extraordinary potato!

Unknown said...

Chris I hope we meet someday and sit and just laugh and enjoy some fine lemonade, sweet tea or green tea together and talk spuds, animals, and mostly not take ourselves too seriously...I think rule # 62 is going to be posted on my mirrors...and as always I thank you for your comments and your voice, they truly always make a difference and make the world a MUCH better place...Love you!

Marla said...

A potato by any other name would still taste as sweet....