Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Geysers, Glasses, Gray Skies


There's a geyser in this photo. It looks like a small cloud-like tornado in the mountains in the upper left quadrant. This is the view my niece and her family are treated to at their home in northern California. They have diamonds on the ground (see previous post below) and geysers in the mountains, and it's all very beautiful. I wanted to stay with them longer, but responsibilities called at home.

While I was lounging on their deck, I remembered something I heard last week, and I wrote a poem about it. The poem just happened to be 55 words long and qualify as a Friday Flash 55. If you want to tell a story in exactly 55 words, post it and go tell the host with the most, the G-Man.


Confession of a Self-Aware Man

I own my own darkness
he said
I don’t blame it on you
It isn’t your fault
I see the glass is half-empty
though spring water
gurgles around me

In the blue mountains
with the green valley
spread out below
it is the gray sky I see
pushing me down
into the darkness
underlying everything


14 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Such terrific compressed writing here, as magical as the geyser.

Andrew said...

I can relate to the self aware man alright.

Your Niece lives in a lovely place. I did like N. California the one time I was there.

RNSANE said...

The photography is so beautiful and, eternally, your written words touch me.

Brian Miller said...

the sky is falling, the sky is falling...is he self aware because he blames no one but himself. rare indeed

the walking man said...

Me and that guy could be friends. I own my own feelings and make no apology for them. Just as your piece indicates.

G-Man said...

Sounds like an Eastern Europeon.
They have their Misery DAMMIT.
And no one is taking it away from them!
Loved you last two posts Chris.
Sounds like Paradise.
Thanks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a gorgeous view! And to walk casually amongst diamonds just lying on the ground - I don't think I'd ever want to leave a beautiful place like that! - G

Pheromone Girl said...

Beautiful photos, what an inspiring location to write a lovely - and so true! - verse.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the wisdom of owning one's own darkness... that is the seeing-eye dog that leads each one of us safely through the maze of depression.

It doesn't restore vision, but it opens the mind and lets other senses do their work.

May the self-aware man find that the rain falls gently on his face, then, through those gray skies he feels with his soul.

Monkey Man said...

Haunting 55.

TALON said...

What an amazing photo. The poem made me feel sad. It's always about individual perspective, isn't it?

Maude Lynn said...

That's a really beautiful 55.

Margaret said...

Owning one's own darkness. Interesting!

Magpie said...

Sad...that his self-awareness was only the dark pieces.
How many diamonds did you come home with? :)