Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Saturday, May 8, 2010

If I Were a Cat


This is what I'd do:


Instead, this is what I do:

I pull this crap out of my grass. It's called burr clover. It's "fruit" (using the word loosely) is a round hard sticker ball half the size of your pinky nail. That sticker ball breaks into segments and spreads burr clover all over. It also sticks in your bare feet.

I looked one day at the grassy median between the sidewalk and the street in front of my house. Large patches of this weed from hell, all knotted up in the grass, had established themselves with great fervor.

Since Monday, and that's all this week in case anyone is keeping track, I've been breaking my back and my arms and my shoulders and my thighs, everything except my head, struggling to yank this ferocious alien monster out of my grass. My grass loves the soil aeration it is getting as I stab my pointy sharp weeding object into the lawn and heave it all about.

I tell you, I'm breathing hard after my latest bout. I hate burr clover so much, I pull it out of my neighbors' yards. Do I have an obsession? Yes. But I prefer to think of myself as determined, as a fighter on the side of right, as a force for good in the universe, which, as far as I can see, has no need whatsoever for burr clover.

Then I come in the house, aching in every joint, and there's my cats and dogs and hubby, all comfortably lazing around on the furniture. If I were a cat, I would sit in front of my hubby like this:


I would stare at him until I drove him up from the couch and out into lawn. I would drop the gloves and the pointy object at his feet, and I would trot away for a good nap.


19 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm fixing to weed the garden..hubby is conveniently out of the state now. Funny how that works out.

♥namaste♥

Anonymous said...

The cat honestly does not seem that obsessed with the burrs.
The trick may work on the hubby. Good luck.

Brian Miller said...

hathink i would like to be a cat...smiles. happy saturdaY!

Marion said...

Burr clover must be a plant that is not found further north; I am not familiar with it. It sure sounds tough. Do grazing animals eat it?

I've been reading your blog all week and have noticed you've been hard at work in the garden. I am hoping the frost at night here stops soon. Even the plants in the cold frame greenhouse don't look so good at this point.

It is so tough for a gardener when I visit friends from all over and all their gardens are in bloom! I envy all...yes, even the weeding sounds good!

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous looking cat. As for the burr clover, I'm not much of a gardener, but I heard that having free range chickens and fowl running around helps to keep clover and weeds away because they like to eat them. What do you think the cat would have to say about that? - G

katrin said...

beautiful cat!
and as for our obsessions, it makes me wonder. I myself am pulling out grass, from the flower beds and my cats they rub against my hands and then get comfortable and watch me work.
Keep up the good work :)

CiCi said...

The sticker balls really stick too don't they? Hubby had some on his shorts when he came in from mowing the other day and I could barely pull those stickers off. The cat is such a sweet looking cat.

Paul C said...

In our grass is 'creeping charlie', an invasive weed as well. A herbicide can wipe it out pretty quickly but now herbicides are banned in Ontario. Also very funny reading about your cats. They seem to sleep all day and are awake all night in the yard.

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Haha. Yeah, but cats are so cool. If this works let me know. I'll get rid of the dog and get a cat. :-)

Evalinn said...

You gotta love those cats! :-)

Monkey Man said...

Weeding! I hate weeding, yet here I go, out on a beautifully sunny Saturday morning to do just that. Why? Because I hate weeds in my garden even more. Go get 'em, Chris.

Argent said...

We have those little sticker things here in England or something very like them and our cats attract them like crazy when they go out. Maybe I should get some chickens. Happy weekend to ya!

Magpie said...

You are the better off for having been out fighting the good fight. Now you can enjoy your well deserved rest and let hubby make a lovely dinner for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the cat expression, really identify with the attitude.

steveroni said...

So hubby is a human being.
Chris is a human doing!

Love this blog
Love these cats
Hate those weeds (with their 17-foot long roots.

I'll be back....

Unknown said...

Happy Mother's Day,my friend!
You look BEAUTIFUL, then and NOW!
You are such a wonderful friend and MOTHER!
May this Mother's Day be one of the best with more to come in years!
YOU ROCK, MOMMY!
hugs
shakira

Syd said...

I figure into every life a few weeds must grow. C'est la guerre.

Julie said...

Awwww....kitty is so cute! Those clover do look very prolific. It sounds like back breaking work. I hope you had a chance to relax yesterday:)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/jingles-may-follower-award-week-2.html

Happy Wednesday!