Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday, the Sabbath Day


Here is a Flash Black Friday 55, the G-Man Mr. Knowitall’s challenge to write a tale in exactly 55 words. He's taking Thanksgiving off, though, so visit next Friday.

Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Honor Black Friday, therefore, as the sacred day of our savior, the credit card. Fix these words in your hearts; teach them to your children when you sit at home or walk along the road. Write them above your doorframes: Go forth and multiply your sacred debt.

My daughter, for a lark, went to Target at 3:45 a.m. this Black Friday morning, and the lines of people stretched 20-deep for a half-mile. The store opened at 4 a.m., and she says it took 20 minutes for all those people to file in the door. What did she buy? I asked. DVDs and shampoo, she said. Flannel pants and flannel shirts. She doesn’t have a credit card, just a debit card, so she can’t spend what she doesn’t have.

She was in and out in half an hour, she said, even though there was a line of people halfway around the store’s main aisles waiting to check out. People just stopped and stood behind the last person they saw standing in a line, even though all the check stands beyond that first one were open and empty. So she just kept walking, past the humongous line, past empty registers, until she came to the last register and bought her things. Say Amen, somebody.

13 comments:

Paul C said...

Wonderful metaphor here and so true. Something like our shopping malls are our cathedrals.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love your humor...
Happy FF 55...

awards/treats 4 u

Rosaria Williams said...

At her age, I'd line up at 4:00 too, just to be where the excitement was.

The Bug said...

Wow - she did GOOD! My mother was a huge black Friday shopper. I only went with her the last time she ever went. INSANE. There's no bargain worth it to me. But then again I don't like to shop.

Andrew said...

Amen! Flog it!

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Love it! And Amen

Myrna R. said...

Amen.

Unknown said...

Amen..and amen. I have the same amount of money in my checking account as I did Wednesday. I'm crazy enough without being encouraged by a mob. I ate, napped and watched the Twilight trilogy. Can I get an amen? :-D

♥namaste♥

Syd said...

I don't think that I have been to a Black Friday ever. I would rather pay extra for less aggravation. We really need nothing. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Marion said...

I heard on the news last night that Black Friday is even coming to Canada, where Boxing Day has been the traditional day for sales.

I won't go to either one, heh! Your daughter is a smart cookie...Amen!

Titus said...

EO, I loved it, but also suspect there's some ritual going on here that I don't understand...

Magpie said...

Love your funny bone!!
Say Amen, EVERYBODY.

RNSANE said...

I would not have ventured outside the house on Black Friday! I don't think I'll do any Christmas shopping this year unless it's online though I know there will be huge bargains to be had. My budget is stricter than ever since my desktop is set for a funeral pyre after I haul it in to see if Frye's can salvage my hard drive. I did have Carbonite do an ongoing back up so I believe my contents are safe, thank the Lord.