Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Busy Hands Are Happy Hands


Wherever I heard such a thing as "Busy hands are happy hands," it stuck with me. I'll probably be hearing it in my head until the day I die.

We had 50 AA people crushed into our house on a stormy Saturday afternoon, heard a lot of laughter, fed them all and sent them away happy. I'm not sure why they all came out in the storm. Maybe my hubby's six different cakes and desserts brought them out. Maybe they just like us!

The day began with blogging, and then prayer. I think God forgives me for doing the blogging first. He sure did bless this day. Everyone traveled on five miles of rain-swept highway to get here, and they did it safely. They blew through two hams, gallons of potato salad, a vat of candied yams and all the cakes.

For a while, it was like the loaves and fishes being multiplied around this house. The feeding of the 5,000 went beautifully!

Sometimes I find myself looking only at the grunt work in front of me, and not at the pleasures before me. I was doing that for a minute this morning, with a complaining spirit about the rain.

Then I caught myself doing it. For pete's sake, we're having a drought here. What could be better than rain? What could be better than rain and fellowship? Turn that complaining spirit off.

So I have had my hands full all week, first writing my little fingers to the bone (hah!) for my local magazine, then doing the household preparations for feeding 50. My busy hands stayed happy, despite myself at times.

My fat dogs took up all the remaining floor space and begged ham off everyone. They're beagles, but they're overfed, so they look like Texas beagles. Lily is the youngest. I posted her photo at the top of the blog on the left. Then there's her mom and dad, Roxy and Riley. That's Riley at top right.

What's better than good dogs, good friends, and rain when we needed it? At this point, that's all I need to feel very blessed.

We all went to bed happy.

15 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

I can almost agree with everything you say - "what better than good dogs, good friends ..." It is the rain bit I have difficulty with although I completely understand that you are in need of it. I am glad your day went well.

the walking man said...

Sounds like a party to me. Did I get my share of the cookies?

Dianne said...

Chores ahead seem to take away my sleep these days. But I am breathing and praying and focusing on the quality of each task these days. And if the work didn't get all done, delegate, or it wasn't that important.
(strange how work at the job seems to expand right before the holidays)
GLAC you had a successful open house. That is my 2010 goal to make every day open in my house.
I thought of you as I passed your neighborhood!

Lou said...

ha,ha..those dogs are kind of chubby!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I loved reading this. It sounds like it was wonderful. I'm sure you slept great... Sarah

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Good dogs, good friends and rain when you need it, that is a blessed day!!! :)

big Jenn said...

It's sounds wonderful. Glad it was such a success,jeNN

Brian Miller said...

sounds like you had a good day. beautiful dogs...i had an old hound growing up named hobo...and then i had a stuffed animal of him after he passed...my earliest friend.

make sure you enjoy the day, hands busy or otherwise. smiles.

thanks for all the thoughts and wishes for my mom. she is getting around with a walker today and they are determining if she can leave the hospital today or tomorrow.

Anonymous :) said...

Six different cakes and desserts and a life filled with laughter and blessings. It doesn't get much better than that.

Shadow said...

your post brought a smile to my face. love that little pup up there!

Woman in a Window said...

Sounds like bounty!
and
ummmmm, ham...
and
heh heh, forgiven for blogging first.

xo
erin

douloschristos said...

The primary, indispensable, magnificent element of our God is His forgiveness. So we know that is taken care of.
And now about the various delicacies. My UPS address is. . .

Tall Kay said...

I'm willing to bet they all came out in the storm for more than the good food. Lily is sooo cute! Thanks for sharing your beautiful day!

Syd said...

It sounds like a great time. I'm hoping to have a good crowd of recovery folks for Christmas Day. Good for you Chris.

Nessa said...

A beautiful day to be sure.

Tweet the Meat